North Haven man arrested for assault on an island off Maine


A North Haven man was arrested over the weekend for an assault that police say left another man on the island in critical condition.

Kaleb Campbell, 22, was charged with both aggravated and aggravated assault, court documents show. Campbell made his first court appearance on the charges Monday afternoon, where a judge set bail at $5,000 cash.

Police received a report of the assault around 9:20 p.m. Friday. The Knox County Sheriff’s Deputy stationed in North Haven responded and found a badly beaten 19-year-old man being treated by the island’s emergency medical personnel.

The alleged assault took place after the victim and Campbell worked on fishing gear and drank at Campbell’s house. As the victim showed Campbell a picture of a nude woman he had on his phone, Campbell saw another nude picture of a woman he knew. Campbell told police he became enraged and began punching the victim in the head, according to an affidavit from the Knox County Sheriff’s Office.

The victim told police that Campbell told him to “run or he was going to shoot him,” the affidavit states. Campbell told police the victim would not leave, so he fired three shots into the air with a 9mm handgun.

The victim was able to run down the road to a neighbor’s house and the neighbor called 911.

The victim suffered severe head injuries that caused him to vomit and lose consciousness, according to the sheriff’s office. The man was airlifted to Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was placed in the intensive care unit.

It is not known what the victim’s condition was as of Monday.

Knox County Sheriff Tim Carroll said Monday afternoon he had heard the victim was doing better and had been released from the hospital, but had not recently received an update. official on his condition. Campbell’s defense attorney also told the judge presiding over Monday’s hearing that he believed the victim had been released from the hospital.

A hospital representative could not divulge any information about the victim, including whether or not he was still in hospital late Monday afternoon.

Assistant District Attorney Kathryn King had requested that Campbell’s bail be set at $50,000 and that he be barred from returning to North Haven while the case was pending if he posted bail. Campbell’s attorney, Christopher MacLean, objected to this bail condition, stating that Campbell has lived his entire life in North Haven, has no family to stay with on the mainland and, in as a fisherman, had to return to the island to work.

The judge rejected the condition to prevent Campbell from returning to North Haven. However, he demands that Campbell be placed under house arrest while the case is pending and can only leave his home for work, medical or legal reasons.


Comments are closed.